A hand tied topper is a type of hairpiece that covers the top of your head and blends with your natural hair. Unlike a topper with machine-made wefting, a hand tied topper has every hair individually knotted onto the cap, creating a natural-looking scalp and hairline. In this article, I will explain the difference between a hand tied topper and a topper with wefting, and why you should choose a hand tied topper for your hair needs.
The Difference Between Hand Tied and Wefted Toppers
Wefting is a technique where strips of hair are sewn together by a machine and then attached to the cap of the topper. You can see the bands of wefting on the underside of the topper, like this:
|-----------------| |-----------------| |-----------------| |-----------------|
|* * * * * * * * *| |* * * * * * * * *| |* * * * * * * * *| |* * * * * * * * *|
The Benefits of Hand Tied Toppers
There are many reasons why you should choose a hand tied topper over a wefted one. Here are some of the main benefits:
- Versatility: You can part your hand tied topper anywhere you want, from front to back and side to side. You can also style it in different ways, such as pigtails, braids, or buns. A wefted topper limits your styling options because you can only part it where there is no wefting, and you risk exposing the tracks if you pull the hair up or back.
- Comfort: A hand tied topper is much lighter and softer than a wefted one, because it has less bulk and more airflow. A wefted topper can be heavy and scratchy on your scalp, especially in hot weather.
- Naturalness: A hand tied topper creates a realistic scalp and hairline that blends seamlessly with your own hair. A wefted topper can look unnatural and wiggy, especially if the color or texture does not match your own hair.
How to Choose a Hand Tied Topper
If you are convinced that a hand tied topper is right for you, here are some tips on how to choose one:
- Size: Measure your area of hair loss or thinning and choose a base size that covers it adequately. You can also trim the base if needed.
- Length: Choose a length that matches your own hair or slightly longer. You can also cut or layer the topper if needed.
- Color: Choose a color that matches your own hair or slightly lighter. You can also dye or highlight the topper if needed.
- Style: Choose a style that suits your face shape and personal preference. You can also curl or straighten the topper if needed.
One example of a hand tied topper that meets all these criteria is the Dimples Clio 14L French Topper. It has a 6" wide x 7" long base size, 14 inch length, various color options, and a wavy texture. Lacie is wearing color 6N8GR Nutmeg Rooted.